Many people struggle with some sleep issues such as insomnia or troubles falling asleep. Dr. Andrew Weil, a Harvard wellness practitioner, developed a method that includes meditation and breathing techniques which can help you to manage stress and improve the sleep quality.
This breathing technique requires everyday training. Once you develop it, you can use it for dealing with number of issues, including:
• whenever something upsetting happens
• when you have troubles falling asleep
• every time you experience physical tension
• to overcome the food cravings
• if you suffer from mild or moderate anxiety
Deep breathing has number of benefits for the whole organism, such as:
• Detoxifying and eliminating toxins
• Alleviating pain
• Providing internal massage for the organs
• Relieving emotional problems
• Strengthening the immune system
• Improving the body posture
• Enhancing the digestion
• Keeping the heart and the lungs stronger
• Improving the health of the nervous system and the blood quality
This technique has no side effects and everyone can use it. All you have to do is to breathe deeply. Inhale through the nose for 4 seconds, hold the breath for about 7 seconds and exhale through the mouth for 8 seconds.
Breathing in this way will slow down the increased heart rate and release some soothing chemicals in the brain that counteract the effects of adrenalin.
At the very beginning, you may feel a little discomfort, but as you go on breathing, you will experience deep relaxation both on physical and mental level.