As the seasons change, your diet likely also changes. Sometimes, this can lead to a less than happy bowels, especially when winter welcomes heavier foods. The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons explains a low-calorie, high-fiber diet rich in fruits and vegetables is key to a healthy colon.
If you feel your bowels are in need of a boost to get things moving, you may want to try these tasty colon cleansing smoothie recipes.
1. Beets, avocado, strawberries, celery, lemon, coconut oil. This combination from Oh She Glows not only detoxes the colon and works as a diuretic, but also cleanses the liver, purifies the blood, and balances blood sugar. The ingredients contain anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-viral properties. Watch the video below to see how to make this recipe:
Full Recipe: Strawberry beet detox smoothie
2.Green tea. Sipping green tea throughout the day can do wonders for the colon, says The Science of Eating. It works because it contains anti-oxidants that help remove toxins from the body.
Full Recipe: Papaya chia seed detox smoothie
3. Cucumber, strawberries, apple, spinach, lemon juice, almond butter, hemp seeds. This tasty combination from The Green Forks is full of nutrients that act as powerful detox agents. They lower cholesterol, heal inflammation, fight against cancer, and normalize blood sugar. Watch how to make this smoothie below:
Full Recipe: Cucumber almond butter detox smoothie
4.Papaya, spinach, kale, banana, apple, almond milk, chia seeds. The Green Forks uses this recipe in its detox program because in addition to supporting a healthy colon, the smoothie is anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory. The bananas improve sleep and mood, as well as cholesterol and blood pressure, while the greens contain calcium, iron, copper, fiber, and anti-oxidants. Check out how to make it in the video below:
5. Spinach, romaine lettuce, lemon, celery, banana, pear, apple. Celebrity nutritionist Kimberly Snyder says her trademarked “Glowing Green” smoothie contains more greens than the average person gets in a single week. Blending the greens not only helps you get more of them, they also aid in the body’s full absorption of all the vegetables’ nutrients. Watch how to make this smoothie below:
Full Recipe: Spinach lettuce detox smoothie
6. Papaya, apple, pear, berries, orange slices, spinach, 1 oz. slivered almonds, 1 cup cooked oatmeal, 1 cup plain yogurt. This potent smoothie from Livestrong has all the ingredients necessary to get things moving! It is especially high in fiber and will do wonders for your colon and overall metabolism. Watch how to make this recipe in the video below:
Full Recipe: Papaya oatmeal detox smoothie
7. Spinach, celery, cabbage, lime, brewed senna tea. This tasty smoothie from Haylie Pomroy contains an extra boost from senna tea, a laxative used to treat constipation and clear the bowels. Watch how to make this recipe in the video below:
Full Recipe: Senna tea detox recipe
8. Apple, sea salt, ginger, lemon. This refreshing, slightly spicy combination from Dr. Axe releases toxins by stimulating the colon. It is best to drink it warm, but not boiling, on an empty stomach in the morning.
Full Recipe: Apple sea salt detox recipe